Papers required to enter the Dominican Republic

Papers required to enter the Dominican Republic
A passport or equivalent national identity document and a visa is required of foreigners traveling to the DR. Citizens of some countries, listed below, do not need a visa. All non-resident travelers need to show a round trip ticket as proof of their departure.

Traveling without a passport
The DR has signed an agreement with the US and Canada that allows their nationals to enter without a passport or visa by purchasing a US$10 tourist card. You will need to present proof of citizenship - either an original birth certificate or certified copies with raised seal, an expired passport (if photograph still clearly resembles the bearer), US naturalization certificate or a signed US voter registration card.

Aliens who are permanent US residents must have their US alien registration card to return to the US. A drivers license will not suffice as identification.

You will also need a photo ID, such as a driver's license, that matches the name on your citizenship document. If you have changed your name because of marriage, you should bring certified proof of your marriage.

Why get a passport anyway?
A passport is the preferred document for international travel to the DR. Note you will need a passport to cash travelers checks, rent a car, to make large credit card purchases, and sometimes even as a security deposit for equipment such as golf clubs. Carry your passport when you go into the city, in case you want to make a large credit card purchase or change a travelers check. Otherwise keep it locked in your safe and carry the Xerox copy. If you do carry your passport on your travels, it is always a good practice to keep a copy of it in a safe place. This will expedite replacement should it get lost.

Entry without visa or tourist card
Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Peru, Liechtenstein and Uruguay.

List of those who can enter by buying a tourist card
The US$10 tourist card can be purchased at airports of entry. The card may be purchased prior to arrival at full-service consulates, embassies, tour operators or airlines abroad (the Admiral Club of American Airlines in San Juan may be able to sell you one, for example). A surcharge in addition to the US$10 may be charged when buying the card abroad, though.

Nationals from the following countries may enter the DR with a passport and tourist card – no visa required: Albania, Andorra, Antigua, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Curaçao, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France (includes Guadeloupe, Guyana, Germany, Greece, Guyana, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Martinique, Mexico, Monaco, Northern Ireland, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Rumania, Russia, San Marino, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Marteen, St. Martin, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Slovenia, Spain, Surinam, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, Ukraine, United Kingdom, the United States of America (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands), Venezuela and Yugoslavia.

All legal residents in the United States, Holland, Italy, Canada, Venezuela, Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Denmark, regardless of their nationality, may enter the country as long as they bear an up to date passport or national identity papers and have purchased a tourist card.

Tourist cards permit a legal stay of no more than 90 days. An immigration inspector will usually give you 30 days or 60 days upon stamping your passport. Keep the tourist card in a safe place, as you will need it when leaving the country.

If you plan to buy your tourist card at a Dominican airport, we recommend you bring exact change in US$ and a pen to fill out the cards. You may have to wait in a long line to buy the card but take comfort from the knowledge that you would likely have to wait for your luggage to be unloaded from the airplane anyway.

To request a visa
In case you need a visa and there is no Dominican consulate in your country, you should request one from the nearest consulate or Dominican Embassy.

Extending your stay
If you decide to extend your stay here, you need to visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo to request an extension. Or you will simply be fined about US$10 at the airport upon departure.

Diplomat and government officers travel
Countries with which the Dominican Republic has agreements for diplomats and government officers to travel without visa are:
Argentina, Belize, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, and Uruguay.

Traveling with children
If you will be traveling to or from the DR with a child who does not have your same surname or if you cannot prove you are the parent or the legal guardian, you will need special documentation. You should contact the nearest Dominican consulate for information on the paperwork required. These include a a notarized statement from the absent parent or parents giving permission for the child to leave the country of residence with you.

Note the Dominican Republic has firm rules in place to prevent international abductions of children by adults who do not have legal custody. Do not assume that if the child has a passport that everything is fine. If there is a difference in surnames, you should travel with a birth certificate that confirms the parentage or guardianship.

[Home] [E-Mail]

Site powered by:

How to buy a house or property Santo Domingo City Info Cost of Living Marriage Wedding Divorce Legal Resident Travel info Travel Documents Flights Maps

© ®, NEXT Energydrink™, are used by ICU and registered or pending trademark/service marks, All rights reserved.